Ahead of his next release with us, we caught up with Peruvian Progressive House Artists; Orgymu5ik. His signature sound is one for the lovers of club ready, deep and dark progressive house, which takes you on a real journey! Just like progressive house should!
1. Hi Orgymu5ik! As a quick introduction for the readers, tell us a little bit about yourself:
Well first thanks for this interview!!
About me, my real name is José Luis Alcántara Mariño and, as you know, Im a Dj & Producer from Perú specialized in Progressive House and Melodic Techno. I started this adventure of producing electronic music over a year ago.
2. The whole world is pretty crazy right now, how are things down in Peru?
Things here are more than crazy! We are one of the countries with more cases of Coronavirus in the world. This is definitely not something to make me proud but We are still a growing country and we have many things to improve.
This Coronavirus is bothering everyone!
3. How is the music scene down in Peru, before Covid that is!?
Definitely it was a growing scene but dominated by “Tech House”. We had so many events of electronic music, even from Monday to Sunday.
In the particular case of Progressive House, I started with some Dj friends some events of this style to develop the scene but coronavirus ruined everything! Hahahah
Im still collaborating with this movement but as a producer in this moment.
4. So how did you get into music, more specifically the type of music you produce?
Well, I started into electronic music listening Big Beat, Trance and Techno, but one day a friend of mine gave me a CD of Sasha & John Digweed, after that, Progressive House became my favourite style in electronic music.
5. Tell us a little about your influences, who or what inspires you when creating music?
Definitely, everything started with Sasha & John Digweed and artists like Hernan Cattaneo and Nick Warren. Even I had my time of Electro House (Deadmau5, Knife Party and Wolfgang Gartner).
But I think in this moment, my great musical influences are Stan Kolev, Matan Caspi, Kasper Koman, Rick Pier O'neil, Morttagua, D-Nox and similar artists.
6. As a follow on from that, which artists are you really feeling right now? Can be new artists or more established ones?
It depends! I think good music is good music regardless of when it was created. I use to listen both: old and new music.
My favourite artists right now are Stan Kolev, Kasper Koman and Matan Caspi. I really love Outta Limtis style.
7. What have you got in store musically for the rest of 2020 and into 2021?
I am not producing as much music as I would like at the moment because I have a complicated job, but I have some pending releases for this year. One with you!!! Hahaha
I have other musical releases in line for this year, an EP in BC2 Records and one more with Univack Records!
About 2021, Im not thinking in that year now but I but I have some ideas that I can finish to release next year!
8. What aspirations do you have? You got any goals you want to try and reach? This can be musically or life in general.
My main aspiration definitely is improving my sound and I would like to be able to live from music. Obviously not being a millionaire with this but having enough to live quietly and continue producing music.
My goal as an artist is to have some releases on music labels like Outta Limits, Timeless Moment and UV.
9. If we ever get back to a normal nightlife scene, how do you think this pandemic is going to change things?
I think the parties will be the same or more crazy when everything returns to normal. Anyway, Im sure that now life will have more presence of technology.
10. Your sound is becoming quite a staple at North Origin. We love the dark proggy vibes you bring. Tell us a little bit about your production process? Favourite synths, plugins, techniques etc.
Well, thank you so much for those words!!! I will be darker in the future I think!
I always start with Kick and Basses in all my productions, then I continue with synths and after that with percussions!
My favourite plugins are definitely Diva and Spire, I use them a lot for Basses, Atmospheres and Synths. I also use FabFilter Pro-Q 2 for equalization and all the Waves plugins for many utilities. Other plugins I use are Ableton Stock plugins (Delay, Reverb, Drum Buss, Compressor and Glue Compressor) and Hive-2.
I always try to make my sounds quite robust.
11. Apart from music, what else makes you happy?
I think, eat different kinds of food is one thing that makes me happy. Also travel and if I have time, playing some videogames.
12. Anything else you want to share with us or any little bits of advise for people just getting into production?
Yes! Im very grateful to you because it was the first label that trusted in my work. We will always be in contact without a doubt!!!
Im not a producer with a broad career but I my advice is “Try a thousand times, always try to improve and do not get discouraged when the doors close the first few times”.
Its our pleasure Man! As soon as we heard your sound we knew you were an artist with a clear vision of where he wanted to be and thanks for putting your music out with us!
Many thanks to Orgymu5ik for the Interview and there is no doubt in our mind that José will do some big things in the Progressive House / Melodic Techno Scene!
His latest tune 'Haukuru' will be out on Beatport, Spotify and Apple Music on the 24th of August.